Allergies in Louisiana: Symptoms and Types
Do you dread going outside because you have pollen allergies?
Allergies in Louisiana are seen most often in children, but actually, allergies can develop or disappear at any time or any age. Sometimes an allergy that you seem to lose, will return years later. That’s because allergies are the result of a chain reaction that starts with your individual genetics, triggers your immune system, and results in unpleasant, sometimes dangerous, symptoms.
Are dust mites and pet dander ruining your enjoyment of life?
Your immune system protects you from invading organisms that can cause illness. Occasionally, your immune system mistakes an otherwise harmless substance for an invader, and it overreacts. This triggering substance is called an allergen, and the reaction is called an allergy. Here are some typical allergy symptoms:
- Eye discomfort: redness, itching, swelling, tearing
- Nasal discomfort: congestion, itchiness, postnasal drip
- Sinus discomfort: pain, pressure, recurrent infections,
- Ear discomfort: fullness, pain, recurrent infections
- Skin problems: irritation, itching, welts, rash, hives
- Respiratory symptoms: shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, chest tightness
- Overall health: fatigue or hyperactivity
Common Allergies in Louisiana:
Those that live in Louisiana know well that they struggle through a unique set of allergy symptoms that can be particularly miserable. Because of the weak winters and persistent moisture, plants prosper, creating more pollen throughout the year as well as better conditions for other kinds of allergies. Allergies in Louisiana tend to last longer, making quick and effective relief very important for allergy sufferers.
Some of the most common allergies in Louisiana include:
- Mold allergies: Because of Louisiana's damp and humid weather, mold allergies in Louisiana are able to occur frequently. Mold allergies can be dangerous to many, especially those with asthma. Many sufferers see a stuffy nose, congestion, and more.
- Tree pollen allergies: Tree pollen is also carried through the wind. Our diverse assortment of trees means that there is plenty of tree pollen to go around. Those with severe tree pollen allergies have to be careful about going out on especially windy days.
- Grass pollen allergies: Because Louisiana is prone to having wind coming through the state, pollen from the grass is spread in the same way that flower pollen is.
- Flower pollen allergies: In Louisiana, there are wonderful species of flowers all around. One of the most common is ragweed. When the wind blows their pollen around, many allergy sufferers feel the effects such as sneezing, watering eyes, and a blocked nose.
- Dust/dander allergies: When dust begins to build up, and pets enter a home you may find yourself having an allergic response. For many, this means itchy eyes and congestion.
Relief for Allergies in Louisiana:
When allergies persist for an extended period of time, there is no need to continue to suffer. New Orleans Sinus Center can get to the root of your allergy problems, and provide real relief. From fall allergies to summer allergies, our team will do our best to provide you with year long relief.